- This information on our degree programs provides only general information based on the University's Academic Regulations and Administration Guide.
- note that the requirements for degree completion, such as requirements for (preparatory) thesis application and the qualification exam for thesis submission, may differ from department to department. Therefore, please inquire at your department office to avoid any issues in obtaining your degree after your course completion.
Submission of thesis
- Qualifications for submitting the thesis
- 1Those who have completed (are expected to complete) the program and passed the qualification test
- 2Those who have been recommended by the supervisor and the department head
- Application period
- 1For degree to be awarded in August: around April
- 2For degree to be awarded in February: around October
- Documents to be attached with thesis for review
- 1Master’s program: request for review (1 copy), thesis for degree (3 copies), examination fee (100,000 won)
- 2Ph.D. program: request for review (1 copy), thesis for degree (5 copies), CV (6 copies), examination fee (300,000 won)
- Documents to be submitted to request change of degree type
- 1Request for changing the degree type (1 copy)
- 2Synopsis of the thesis submitted for degree (1 copy)
- 3Transcript of academic records (1 copy)
- 4Offprints (or other proof of research activities and accomplishment)
- Thesis examination consists of an oral defense presentation and thesis review.
- The oral defense presentation is conducted concurrently with the thesis review. A score of at least 60 is required for the master’s program and at least 70 for the Ph.D. program to pass the oral defense presentation. Failure in the defense presentation automatically entails failure in the thesis review.
- The thesis review shall result in pass or fail, wherein at least two-thirds of the thesis review committee should vote for pass for master’s degree, and at least four-fifths for Ph.D. degree.
- Thesis review should be carried out in the semester in which the thesis is submitted. However, if there are special circumstances, it may be extended for another semester subject to deliberation by the committee of the graduate school concerned.
Guidelines for thesis writing
1. The paper dimensions of the thesis are 210 × 297 mm (A4), and the paper quality is white standard paper weighing at least 80 g/m2. The thesis should be printed on one side or both sides* using a document-drafting program.
※ However, the cover (Form 1), flyleaf (blank paper after the cover), inner title page, and signature page (Form 2) should be printed only on one side of the paper.
2. The final thesis cover should be gray Leathack paper, the text color black, with sewn binding.
3. The thesis paper should be arranged in the following order:
- 1Cover (Form 1)
- 2Flyleaf (blank paper after the cover)
- 3Inner title page and signature page (Form 2)
- 4Table of Contents
- 5Abstract (Form 3, the same language as the main text, not longer than 2 pages)
- 6Main text
- 8Annexes (if any)
- 9Abstract (Form 4, if the main text is in Korean, write it in a foreign language, and vice versa, and not longer than 2 pages).
4. In principle, it is written in Korean but can be written in a foreign language with the supervisor’s permission.
5. The year, month, and date of approval (Form 2) on the signature page should be the actual date of approval (final review) of the thesis.
6. When writing in English, capitalize the first letter and the first letter of each word (excluding articles, conjunctions, and prepositions).
7. References should be arranged in accordance with the thesis format typical of each academic field and under the guidance of the supervisor.
8. Please make sure to write the thesis in accordance with the plagiarism prevention checklist.
Online training of the plagiarism prevention program Turnitin
- Turnitin introductory video
- Access path: Library website (https://lib.pusan.ac.kr) - Learning and Research Support - Plagiarism prevention - Turnitin – 3-minute video
- Note: To retrieve the video, you need the PNU smart platform for learning “PLATO”
- Online training, “How to use Turnitin”
- Training Date: Once per semester
- Training method: Real-time online training (using Zoom)
- Application for training: Sign in to the library website(https://lib.pusan.ac.kr) - Learning and Research Support - User education
- 최종수정일 :